Monday, June 17, 2013

Just A Kiss Chapter 6

WitFit Prompt-Test

Tuesday’s baseball practices put heavy emphasis on the infielders and Rose insisted that I had to come and watch with her and Alice because “our men” would all get a lot of repetitive action. 
Oh…Edward and any kind of repetitive action makes me a lot hot and bothered…everywhere.
“So you decided to show up after all,” Rosalie teases me as I walk up the stairs.
“I said I would try to make it.  I mean, I had to fly around that library like superwoman to get finished early, but I made it.”
“Mmhmm,” she said, lowering her sunglasses and looking me up and down.  “You also stopped by the room to change clothes and put on a fresh face, I see.”
Of course she’d notice.  “Too much?”
“No.  You look natural, but hot.  Just enough.”
Sigh. “Thanks.”   
I take a seat on the bleachers beside her and look out over the field.  It’s a gorgeous early spring day and there’s a sea of hot boys in front of me.  The infielders are staggered in their positions, waiting for the next batter to settle into the box, while it looks like the outfielders are along the back fence line running poles.  Yeesh…sucks to be them!
At least we’re sitting at the top and aren’t quite as obvious as the other baseball bunnies planted right behind home plate.  Skanks.  I’m not sure how Rose puts up with those girls sitting directly behind Emmett, giggling and making crude remarks. 
What am I even doing here?  
“You just missed your man make an awesome double play,” Alice smirked.
“He’s not my man,” I grumble.
“Well, not yet.  But mark my words…he will be.”  Oh to have that confidence.
“Baby steps.  I’ve only had two mini-conversations with the boy; one yesterday and one today.  The fact that I didn’t die of mortification is huge, thank you very much.”
Rose slaps her leg in obvious frustration, pushes her sunglasses to the top of her head and turns to me and glares.
What is your deal?  You know you are a gorgeous girl who happens to be smart and funny.  What’s up with the Debbie Downer routine?  It’s testing my nerves if I’m being honest.”
Whoa.  Tell me how you really feel.  Of course, it’s part of why I love her.
“I don’t know…I’m just…being stupid.  I know he’s just a guy, but…he’s Edward freakin’ Cullen!  You’ve seen him.  And he’s Mr. Baseball and now Alice tells me he’s also totally smart on top of all of it.  You know my track record with jocks.  I’m just…nervous, I think.  I don’t even know him, but I have this huge crush on him.  So how does that make me any different than those other skanks down there?”
Alice leans around Rose with a sympathetic face and says, “Because you want to know him.  They don’t.  They just want to either be seen with him or fuck him.”
Oh, no ma’am…just the thought of that makes my jaw clench.  I’d hate to have to cut a bitch.
“Look, just keep doing what you’re doing.  I have a feeling it won’t be long before you both start to come out of your little shells,” Rose says. 
She’s right.  They both are.  It just needs time.  And I need to be patient…and a tiny bit brave.
I look back at the field and it seems the players are done with their batting and the coach is pounding the third base, short stop and second base positions with grounder after grounder.
Edward’s like a jungle cat; graceful and lithe with lightning fast reflexes.  He stoops to make what looks like should be a routine catch but as it makes an unexpected hop, he stretches his arm up across his body, backhanding the ball before making a hard side-armed throw over to Jasper who is stretched out at first base.
God almighty he makes baseball look like a damned ballet!  And, holy crap, if I’m not turned on!
At the end of practice they complete several round robin style throwing drills and then return to the dugout to start packing up their gear.
I’m nearly breathless from the action and Rosalie and Alice just smile and smirk and nod their heads in a very much I-told-you-so fashion.
The skanks are already waiting down by the fence, hoping to get a chance to talk to some of the guys as we make our way down the bleachers.  One of them is making an absolute ass of herself as she twirls her hair and laughs way too loud to be natural.  I can practically feel my brain cells dying from here.
As I join Alice and Rose, who are waiting behind the dugout for Emmett and Jasper so that we can all have dinner together at the cafeteria, I hear a sickeningly sweet-fake-voice call for Edward to come over to the fence.
Oh, hell no!
It’s only when I discover that I can actually hear their-mostly one sided-conversation that I realize I’ve been inching closer to them.  My poor precious.
When I glance over at Edward for his reaction to Little Miss Short Skirt, I’m stopped dead in my tracks because I realize that his gorgeous green eyes aren’t looking at her, but are focused over her shoulder…on me.
Hell yes!  Total score!
“Well, that’s very kind of you,” I hear him reply shyly to the stupid kiss-ass wench.  What?  I don’t know her real name.
“Come on.  Say yes, Edward.  It’s just a dinner invitation, not a marriage proposal,” the red-head fake-laughs.
Without skipping a beat or taking his eyes off of me, he smiles even bigger and says…

“No thanks.  I already have plans.”

No comments: