Monday, October 25, 2010

Chapter 8 (She Went to the Lake)

Chapter 8 (She Went to the Lake)



Our three car caravan arrived at the lake house two short hours later. We were all excited to get there so that we could have a weekend that was both relaxing and fun. Edward got out of the truck and walked around to my side so that he could help me out. Sigh…such a gentleman. He leaned down and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. He was stupid gorgeous with his sunglasses, cocky grin and worn Alabama cap. I always knew he was a sin.


“You think you’re ready to meet the infamous Pops?”


“I don’t really have a choice do I? Besides, he can’t be as bad as you all make him out to be.”


“Nah, he’s really not, but you do need to know that he’s kind of hard of hearin’. A grenade went off right outside of his foxhole when he was in the war, and it made him partially deaf. So you’ll need to holler at him a little bit.”


“Oh…um…wow. That’s kind of insane. Was he hurt anywhere else?”


“Not sure. He doesn’t really talk about it. That’s all dad really ever told us. Come on. Just do what we do and you’ll be fine. Oh, I forgot to mention that he has a nickname for all of us. So there’s no laughin’ allowed or you’ll find your pretty little self on some of that friendship probation,” he warned me.


“I don’t make promises I can’t keep.” He chuckled at me, pulling me into his side and placing a kiss on top of my head.


We walked up to the front steps of the gorgeous house. In typical Cullen style, it was huge!


“You Cullen’s do everything big don’t you?” I asked, looking up at Edward. He looked down at me with his famous mischievous grin and winked.


“Wouldn’t you like to know?” he smirked. Yes actually, I really would. Perhaps another time, though...dang it.


“I hate you,” I said, giving him a fake scowl.


Just then the door swung open and revealed a man whom I could only assume was Pops. He looked to be around six feet tall and he had a head full of solid white hair that stuck up everywhere. His smile was crooked just like Edward’s and his eyes were bright blue like Emmett and Carlisle’s. Those beautiful Cullen genes surely do run strong. Oh, crap, I’m already thinking about Cullen genes and future little Cullen’s.


“Torch! ‘Bout time y’all got here. What took you so long?” he said, walking over to Edward and drawing him in for a big hug.


“We had to wait on Barney. He was out fightin’ the Yankees today. So I’d tread lightly around Sas’ for a little bit if I were you,” Edward told him.


“Ornery, huh?”


“As a two-headed bull,” Edward said, raising his eyebrows and nodding in confirmation.


“Welp, it ain’t the first time. Doubt it’ll be the last. I can still pick a switch if she acts like she needs it.”


“Hey Pops! You been fishin’ today?” Emmett asked, joining us in our greeting.


“Nope. I just dress like this to drive the women wild,” he deadpanned. Oh, that Pops is quick. I think I’m going to love him!


We all laughed. He stepped back and looked me up and down like he had just noticed that I was standing there for the first time.


“Well who do we have here? Torch, you’ve been holdin’ out on me I see,” he said, grinning at me.


“Sorry Pops. Garrett Cullen this is Isabella Swan. Bella this is my Pops.”


“Well turn around sugar and lemme get a good look at ya.”


I blushed about a million shades of red but humored him anyway. While my back was turned to Pops, I made sure to give Edward and Emmett my best stink eye since they were laughing at me and not even trying to hide it.


Pops gripped my shoulders and looked deeply into my eyes. It felt like he was trying to read my soul, his gaze was so intense. When he had found whatever it was that he was looking for, he grabbed my hand, kissed it and said, “Come with me, Sunflower. I’ll show you around while these rednecks do all of the work.”


With a glance over my shoulder to a gaping Edward and Emmett, I walked hand in hand with Pops towards the back of the house. He led me to the back deck that overlooked some of the most beautiful waterfront I had ever seen.


“This doesn’t look like any of the lakes I have ever been to. Why is the water so clear?” I asked Pops.


“Well, Sunflower, this lake is a private one that is spring fed, hence the name Spring Lake. We don’t allow water craft that have motors that are powered by gas. Only the ones that can use what they call a trolling motor or one that is battery operated. So there are no fast ski boats or jet skis. Here, you can canoe, use paddle boats, sail, or we have a pontoon boat that has a trolling motor so that we can all get out in the deeper water to swim. Anyway, that’s what helps to keep the water so clear. It also makes it a safer, quieter and more family friendly place because you don’t have all of those high powered sport boats and such zippin’ through all of the time.”


“I just can’t get over it. I mean, the water looks like the beaches in the Gulf. It’s absolutely stunning,” I said, turning to him and smiling. “Thank you so much for allowing me to come and stay with your family.”


“You are most welcome, Sunflower. Now, let’s go inside so you can see the rest.”


“Are you going to tell me the meaning behind ‘Sunflower’?”


“Maybe later if you’re real sweet,” he said, giving me a wink and pulling me towards the back door. I think he may be just as charming as Edward. Lord help me if I’m ever stuck in an argument between the two of them.


I could hear the squeals of all of the kids from above me as we stepped into the living area from the deck. The ceiling was open to the second level of the house. There was a cat walk upstairs that stretched the entire span of the living area. When I looked, up I could see the children running back and forth, from one side of the cat walk to the other, between the rooms.


“Upstairs is where all of the guest rooms are. There is a set of Jack and Jill style bedrooms that share a bathroom on either side of the hall up here on the left. On the other side of the cat walk is a bonus room that we turned into one big kids’ bedroom. We renovated it a few years ago to have its own bathroom as well. They love coming here because we have bunk beds in there,” he laughed, shaking his head at the kids and their rowdiness. “My room is over here on the far side off of the kitchen. I know Emmett secretly wishes he could stay there when he’s here, but there is no way in hell I’m giving up my bed just so that he can be closer to the fridge for his midnight snacks.”


He pulled me towards the staircase and instead of leading me upstairs like I thought he would, we went downstairs.


“This here is the basement that we turned into an entertainment room. But the way I see it, if there is water outside, I’m not really sure why anyone would need a whole room inside just for entertainment. But they didn’t ask me. In the back there is one last small bedroom and a bathroom. If I’m not mistaken, that’s where you’ll be. Ol’ Torch is either on the couch or with the kiddos,” he chuckled.


I didn’t really even know what to say. There was just so much to take in. There were windows all along the back side of the house so that you could see the lake from almost any room you were in.


“This is beautiful Mr. Cul…”


“Don’t you dare, young lady. You’ll call me Pops just like everyone else,” he said, wagging his finger at me.


“Yes,sir.”


He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and said, “Now…let’s get back upstairs. Surely they’re done unloading everything and we can get supper goin’.”


As we were walking upstairs to the kitchen I stopped him and asked, “Why does everybody get a nickname?”


“Well, it’s like this…giving them a nickname and then calling them by that instead of their real name is just a way I can tease them a little bit every time I see them for something stupid they did in their childhood,” he said, grinning at me. I love him. Wicked old man.


“But what about me? Sunflower doesn’t sound like a name you’d use to tease me with and you didn’t know me when I was little.”


“Sometimes it can just be about who you are. Besides…I like you. Now come on. I’m so hungry I’m startin’ to think my belly button’s gonna eat my backbone.”


“Will you at least tell me why you call Edward Torch?”


“More will be revealed, Sunflower.”


Cutest man ever.


-x-X-x-


Supper was a laid back affair, although a loud one. Carlisle and Esme, as well as James and Caroline had all arrived, which only served to excite the kids even more. According to Rosalie, her kids stayed with Alice’s parents as much as they did with Emmett’s. They were loved and claimed by everyone, and it was another instance in which I just couldn’t imagine being surrounded by so much love and adoration.


I had walked out onto the deck where the fire pit had been lit. It was getting chilly outside, especially since we were located on the water. The late summer breeze blew against my face and all I could do was wrap my arms around myself to try to absorb it.


Suddenly, the breeze wasn’t so cold when two much larger and stronger arms wrapped themselves around me.


“Whatcha doin’ out here all by your lonesome?” Edward asked, placing his chin on my shoulder.


There was always this feeling that came over me when Edward was around, especially if he was touching me. It’s not that it was love, because I didn’t think I could say that just yet; but it’s not that it wasn’t either. It was something else. Some sort of peace. Some sort of belonging…


“Just soaking it all in, I guess. Where have you been?” I asked, turning my head so that I could look at him.


“I was summoned by Princess Ally. I apparently pour the best cup of tea and my ‘cwown’ is ‘pitty’.”


“What the…? How did I miss that? I would have killed to see you in a pretty crown,” I laughed.


“The weekend is long baby girl. I’m sure you’ll see it soon enough. Aren’t you cold out here?”


“A little,” I said turning in his arms. “Warm me up?”


“Hell to the yeah,” he laughed softly. I merely rolled my eyes.


He unzipped his hoodie so that I could wrap my arms around his waist, allowing it to block out some of the wind. He leaned down towards me and brushed his lips against mine. No matter how urgent our kisses became, that first, small kiss was always the sweetest, like he was asking my permission.


His kiss started soft, lips only, moving in time with each other, getting reacquainted. Then he sucked my bottom lip into his mouth, letting me draw it back out slowly before he nipped it at the very last second. With that, I was on fire. He had one hand in the middle of my back like he couldn’t hold me close enough to him and the other was in my hair like he was going to try to prevent me from going anywhere. As if.


I turned my head a little so that our kiss could be deeper, more. I pushed my tongue into his mouth and was rewarded with a soft groan. We hadn’t had a kiss like this all day and it was past due. He moved his hands, grabbing me at the backs of my thighs, and lifted me up onto the railing on the deck. He moved my legs wider so that he could stand between them. I kept my hands inside of his jacket, but slowly placed them under his t-shirt, feeling every last defined muscle, until I hooked my arms up under his and cupped my hands over his shoulders. This time it was definitely me not wanting him to go anywhere. He kissed me until I was dizzy with need for oxygen. I had to pull away or I wasn’t going to be able to stop…and there were still children around…somewhere.


“Where the hell did that come from? Not that I’m complaining,” I panted.


“I just missed you I guess,” he said, trying to sound all nonchalant.


“Oh, well, why don’t you miss me some more then?” I asked him and bit my lip. He didn’t realize I was on to him about the lip biting. It really was a habit, but not so much this time.


He growled at me. “Sexy little Jezebel. As much as I’d love to miss you some more, I can hear everyone coming down the steps. I think I heard something about s’mores before the kids go to bed.”


“Another time then,” I said, leaning in to give him one last peck. He helped me down off of the railing as everyone was walking out with the supplies.


We all sat around the fire in a circle, toasting the marshmallows for the kids before they smooshed them into the chocolate. They were a gooey mess and the cutest things I had ever seen. Small conversations were being held all around the circle. Rose was sitting beside me with Ally in her lap. I could tell she was getting tired as it was already past her regular bedtime. Ally had her little curly head resting between my shoulder and Rose’s and she was twirling my hair around and around. She did almost as good of a job as Edward did when he twirled my hair. There was so much sweetness here, in this place and around all of these people, that I just didn’t know where I was going to put it all.


“Sunflower told me earlier that she wants to know the backgrounds of all of your nicknames,” Pops said, looking around at everyone. They all groaned.


“Come on…it can’t be that bad. Emmett, I haven’t even heard yours. You go first. You’re the best sport of all of them anyway,” I said, trying to butter him up.


“That’s alright Little Bell. I’m not ashamed of mine. I just chalk it up to being a boy.”


“Yeah, a stupid boy,” Esme piped up. That made me laugh.


“OK, so…at our old house, we had a basketball goal off of one side of the driveway. One day, Edward and I were just shootin’ the basketball around and I got the idea to try to shoot the ball while riding my skateboard. Edward didn’t think I could make it and well, I’m not one to back down from a challenge. None of us are. So I took my board and the basketball down to the end of the driveway. I pushed off several times, trying to build up some speed. When I got to the goal, I realized that I had been payin’ so much attention to my feet that I hadn’t thought about the amount of coordination it was gonna to take to look up, find the rim and shoot the damn ball. So when I did shoot it, I got off balance and fell off of the back of the skateboard. It popped up and hit me in the mouth and chipped my front tooth.”


Everyone else was snickering from obviously having heard this story many times before. I was flat out crying I was laughing so hard.


“Anyway, mom and dad took me to the dentist to have the chip repaired. Only a little while later, I chipped it again in a bike wreck because my mouth hit the handle bars. I was already really into sports at that point, so they decided to leave it alone until I was at least finished with high school ball. And that’s how I got the nickname of ‘Chip’.” He jutted out his chin, looking rather proud of his moniker.


My stomach hurt I was laughing so hard at just the mental picture of Emmett trying to shoot a basketball from his skateboard.


Rosalie leaned over to me and whispered into my ear, “Emmett and Edward are the only ones who have much of a story. I personally think he gives us these names just to torment us.”


“I think you may be right.”


“He calls me Mama Bear…said it was because I was ferociously protective.”


“I can see that about you. Wait…it that how you got the name of your day care center?”


“Yep. But it took him years to give me a nickname,” she said, raising her eyebrow at me.


Alice’s voice broke me away from the thoughts that Rosalie’s revelation had going through my head.


“Pops was actually the first one to call me Sassy. Actually he called me ‘sassy britches’ but Edward couldn’t really say britches all that well and it sounded like he was calling me ‘sassy bitches’. They had to shorten that one up pretty quickly.”


“Hey, even back then I would call ‘em how I’d see ‘em,” Edward laughed.


Alice narrowed her eyes at him. “I’ll remember that tomorrow when we are in the water. I’d watch my back if I were you, Torch.”


“Promises promises…”


“Children…” Esme said, breaking up their sibling like banter. Gah this was all so new to me. I don’t even think I know how to bicker with anyone like a sibling would.


“Alright, I’m next because it’s not that exciting. Pops calls me Barney because I’m the sheriff. You know, like Barney Fife? Andy Griffith?” Jasper asked.


“Yeah, but, Andy was the sheriff and Barney was the deputy. Why doesn’t he call you Andy?”


Jasper rolled his eyes and looked over at Pops, who was sitting there with a huge grin on his face.


“He gave me this nickname after I became the sheriff. He said that to him, my dad would always be the real sheriff, and that I was just his idiot sidekick.”


I sat there for a moment, taking in that information. Then I pressed my lips together tightly, trying not to laugh at him. It was then that I let out a very unladylike snort instead. I covered my mouth and nose once everyone else started laughing. I wasn’t sure if they were laughing because of me or if they were just laughing at Jasper, too.


“Oh my gosh, Jasper! I’m so sorry!”


“Aww, it ain’t no big deal. I’m used to the old man by now. I’ve been around him since I was five.”


“That’s right, but Barney wasn’t always your nickname now was it?” Carlisle asked, while trying to stifle a laugh of his own.


“Now look, we ain’t getting’ into all of that. Some things are better left unsaid. Plus, there are still little ears out here with us.”


“Nice save Jazz,” Edward said, scooting over behind me so that I was sitting between his legs. “Don’t worry baby girl…I’ll tell you all about it later,” he whispered into my ear. He kissed my temple and then Ally’s. Lord help me. I can feel my ovaries swelling a little bit every time he does something sweet like that with her.


“Eddard, I go bed,” a very sleepy Ally said, turning to look at her uncle.


“Ok. Give me just one minute princess, and then I’ll go help you get ready for bed. Now…for the meaning behind Torch. Hmmm…let’s see…well, I was a bit of a late bloomer. My hair wasn’t always this color. Until I was thirteen or fourteen it was bright like copper. Seriously, you could hold a new penny to my hair and it was the same color. The longer it was, the brighter it was. Like fire. And it still stuck up everywhere. So that’s the first reason he called me Torch.”


“That’s not so bad.”


“Well, this is the stupid boy tricks part. Now keep in mind that I was usually under the influence…the influence of Emmett and Alice. As Emmett already said, none of us can back down from a dare. You’ve lived in Cotton Creek for a few weeks now, so you know there isn’t much to do there for entertainment.”


“Wait wait wait…I want to make it known that I had nothing to do with this particular story. I’m not that nasty,” Alice interjected.


Edward rolled his eyes. “Anyway, Emmett…daredmetolightafart.”


“I’m sorry. What was that?”


Edward huffed. “He dared me to try to light a fart.”


“Can you actually do that? And ewww, by the way.”


“Yes, you actually can. But let me just go on the record as saying that if you’re gonna try that at home, you need to be sure that your legs are fully covered.” I furrowed my eyebrows at him in confusion. “Let’s just say I had a few singed hairs once it actually lit.”


“Oh, Edward! That’s just…” I couldn’t even finish my sentence I was laughing so hard. “Good Lord, you people are insane! I truly am scared for your children.”


Edward leaned forward, wrapping his arms around me and spoke softly against my ear. “If we are lucky, their mother’s genes will override the Cullen stupidity.” What? What does that mean?


“Come find me later. I’m going to help Rose with Ally.” He gave me a kiss behind my ear and walked inside the house behind Rose.


As I looked around the circle, I sat back and watched as the rest of the family laughed and shared more childhood stories. Pops even told us a few from when Carlisle and Caroline were little. I could feel the love radiating from each one of them and it started to become more than I could handle in that moment. I decided to take a walk down to the dock so that I could be alone for a little bit. I needed some time to think while they continued on with their family time together.


I sat down at the end of the dock staring out at the water as the moonlight danced over it. The crickets and tree frogs had long ago begun their chorus, welcoming in the Alabama night. I felt like my insides were at war. My head was telling me to slow things down with Edward. It’s not that we were moving too quickly physically, despite how much my body burned for him, it was that I knew that my heart was ready to jump head first into the pool that was Edward and just drown in him. I mean why wouldn’t I? He was smart, talented, charmingly sweet, devilishly sexy, and just altogether beautiful inside and out. He was good. He was absolutely everything I could ever want, but was he enough to make me give up the only life I had ever known and stay? If I was being honest, I already knew that answer, but would he ever ask me to stay? I had spent years perfecting the art of not getting too close to anyone, and here I was, in love with his entire family already. They are loud and crazy and fun and they seemed like they loved me back just as much. How is that even possible?


I was so lost in my thoughts that I jumped a little when I heard footsteps approach me from behind.


“Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. Do you mind if I sit?”


“That’s ok. I just wasn’t expecting anyone. Sure, have a seat.”


“You know, this is the second time you’ve run off by yourself tonight. You wanna talk about it?”


“Won’t this be weird? I mean, you’re my boss,” I said, looking over at Carlisle.


“Bella, let’s just get something straight. I’m only your superior when we are at work and makin’ medical decisions together. The rest of the time, I’d like to just be your friend. I’m sure it would probably feel a little confusing for you to call me Dr. Cullen at work and Carlisle everywhere else, so why don’t we just go ahead and blur the lines between the two. You can call me Doc. How’s that sound?”


“Doc…” I said, thinking it over. “I think that works for me. Thanks.”


“No problem. Now…you ok? You seemed a little lost in thought.”


I took a minute to gather my thoughts before answering him. I didn’t want to hurt his feelings because this was about him and his family who had been nothing but gracious towards me since the minute that I pulled into this town.


I sighed. “Ok…it’s like this. I have never had much of a family life. I’m an only child born to only children. My parents divorced when I was young. My mom moved around a lot, following her own path, not really ever being concerned much about mine. When I got to spend time with my dad, we didn’t really talk or spend much time together. Well, not until I was almost through with college anyway. I think I’m just feeling overwhelmed here. Even in all of the big cities and hospitals that I have been to in the last three years, I have never experienced anything like this, like you guys. I’m not saying it in a bad way…I mean…shit this is coming out all wrong. You have been so generous and so welcoming. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m not sure how to handle it. I’ve never felt whatever it is that I’m feeling. I’ve never been a part of anything so big and so immediately, if at all.”


I let out a huge breath and looked back at the water, hoping it would calm me. I had never had any kind of relationship with any of the doctors that I had worked with; I saw them on shift, followed their orders and that was it. It was a little unnerving to share what was in my heart with Carlisle, but as always, these Cullen’s had the ability to make my tongue extremely loose.


“First of all, you said that just right. I didn’t take any offense. Secondly, I know we can be a bit overwhelming. We aren’t the kind of people to shy away from a hug or even a kiss. It’s just who we are and how we show affection. It’s not for everyone, but we don’t apologize for it either. If you don’t mind, could I offer you a little advice, as your friend, not your boss, as you keep calling me?”


“Sure,” I giggled.


“There are some things in life that you just shouldn’t question. Not everything needs to be analyzed. Some things are just right, and when they are, you feel it; you know it. You feel it from your eyelashes to your toenails. That feelin’ can be so all-encompassing that it scares the shit right out of you. But you can’t let fear make your decisions for you. If you do, certain opportunities may pass you by. Certain people may pass you by. Some opportunities don’t present themselves a second time. I don’t know about you, but I’d sure hate to live my life with regret, all because I was a little afraid. Do you understand what I’m tryin’ to say?”


A lone tear escaped from my eyes as my heart clenched in my chest. He knew. He was telling me to jump.


“I do. Thanks Doc. Um…would it be highly inappropriate if I gave you a hug?”


“Not at all,” he laughed. “In fact, I’d be a little offended if you didn’t.”


Standing up, he reached for my hand and pulled me up along with him. He hugged me hard and I squeezed him just as tightly in return. It made me miss my dad in a big way, but this hug showed me that Carlisle would be there for me in the same way if I would just let him.


“I’m going to go find Edward. Thanks again for the talk.”


“Sure thing. Goodnight Bella.”


“Night, Doc.”


-x-X-x-


I walked upstairs towards the kids’ room, but didn’t find anyone there. I turned to walk in the direction of the other guest rooms when I heard him. It was faint, but I’d know that voice anywhere. The door to Emmett and Rosalie’s room was slightly ajar. Quietly, I peeked inside and saw the sweetest thing I had ever laid eyes on…EVER. Edward was lying on his side facing a nearly asleep Ally. His eyes were closed and he was singing to her while he rubbed circles on her back. The precious angel lying next to him had the thumb of one hand in her mouth and the other hand in Edward’s hair, barely scratching since she was almost asleep.


I could hear the rest of the family starting to trickle into the house down below. I didn’t want Ally to wake up again, so I pulled the door closed and backed away quietly.


“Hard decision ain’t it?”


“Oh sh…Rosalie you scared the crap out of me! What decision are you talking about?”


“I know that look. It was the same one I had the first time I saw Emmett holdin’ Riley. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to cuddle him or ride him. Of course some of that could have been a mix of the epidural and endorphins…”


“Rose!”


“What? It’s alright. It’s so sweet it’s heartbreaking, not to mention ovary busting.”


“You’re insane, do you know that?” I asked, crossing the hall to hug her. Oh my Lord. I’m turning into one of them. I’m giving out hugs left and right tonight.


“Maybe. You know Emmett and I have the typical mama’s boy and daddy’s girl. But to tell you the truth, Ally has always been an Edward’s girl. When she was a baby she had really bad acid reflux, so she was pretty fussy. When we couldn’t calm her down, Edward could. He’d play his guitar for her or sing to her. It irritated me to death back then because I would be exhausted from having tried everything and all he would have to do was show up it seemed. She was about eight months old when she started scratching his head. He would be holdin’ her up on his shoulder and she would snake her little hand behind his neck. He’s just as spoiled as she is, but I wouldn’t change a thing.”


All of the hesitant thoughts that I had while sitting on the dock suddenly seemed silly and stupid. Whatever this man was willing to give me, I would gladly take it. For once I planned on being entirely selfish.


I smiled at Rose and told her goodnight.


I went downstairs and got ready for bed, not bothering to wait on Edward. Knowing him he’ll probably come and find me at some point. That thought made me giggle. I was so thankful for this man and for his family that had taken me in and made me one of their own. I made up my mind that I would learn how to love them all in the way that they deserved to be if they would let me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVIN' this story! Got it recommended by one of the fanfic writers...can't remember which! Fav line so far was Ch 7, Alli's comment that if Jasper doesn't hurry, "whatever he has goin' on down south will never rise again." SNORT!