Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chapter 2 (She Met Him)

Chapter 2 (She Met Him)
The next couple of days were a blur.  I don’t know how many hours I wasted going from one rental property to another, just trying to find something so that I would have a roof over my head for the next 6 months.  I somehow didn’t think I could handle staying at the Extended Stay Hotel much longer.  It seemed like I had run into a brick wall with my options.  They either only offered a one year minimum lease, or the only way I would be caught in the places that offered a monthly lease was if I WAS dead!
Enter the man with a plan.
“Hey ,Bella!  How was your weekend?”  Dr. Cullen asked.  Ugh!  Wrong question.
“It could have been much better.  How was yours?  Weren’t you on call?” I asked, even though I already knew the answer.
“I was and I have definitely had worse weekends.  However, something tells me that you have me beat?  Was there no luck finding a place to rent?” he asked me with a concerned look.
“Nothing!  Absolutely nothing!  Anything good requires a one year lease, so I already know I’d have to break it and be out hundreds of dollars in the process.  It’s looking like I’m going to have to start looking in the next city, and that’s going to be at least a 30 minute drive both ways.”  I grumbled.
“Hmmm…maybe not.  Give me a minute and I’ll make a call.  I can’t make any promises, but I at least know someone who may be able to give you more options.”
“Dr. Cullen I would owe you a lifetime of servitude!  Well, at least 6 months worth.  You have NO idea how much I appreciate this.  I was seriously stuck.  Thank you!”
“Alright, I’ll let you know what I find out later today.” Carlisle said giving me a squeeze to the shoulder as he passed.

The rest of the day was pretty basic.  They got me set up in the system with all of my security codes and work badges and showed me what their typical day was like.  I would be glad to get this orientation out of the way.  It was really just a formality, but I went along with it because I know it’s hospital policy.  To be honest  I was ready for my real work.  That’s what I love; the one on one time with my patients.  I see them on such a regular basis and get to know them so well, I feel as if they are sort of an extended family.  My patients and a few friends along the way are the only reason I ever hate to leave when my assignments are over.
Just as I finished entering my last nurse’s note of the day, Dr. Cullen walked in with a woman who was no less than stunning.  She was a few inches taller than me, but where I was fairly athletic, she was thin and delicate.  Her goldenrod hair was wavy and rested right at her collar bones.  The only reason I knew precisely what that color was, was because of too many hours spent coloring while being shipped back and forth between my parents.  Her most striking feature, though, were her eyes.  They carried the same softness and kindness that Carlisle’s did, but they were a fierce green, like emeralds.
“Oh, Bella, there you are!  Just the lady I’m looking for.  Bella, I’d like you to meet my wife, Esme.  Esme Cullen, this is Bella Swan.  She is the infamous travel nurse I told you about.” Carlisle said introducing us.
“Well, it certainly is a pleasure to finally meet you, Bella!  We have been waiting for you,” she said, surprising me by hugging me with a force I didn’t realize could come from her.  Those delicate features definitely betrayed her strength, that’s for sure.
“Oh, the pleasure is mine, Mrs. Cullen.”
“Bella, Esme is a real estate agent and I thought perhaps she could help you with your housing issue,” he said as he put his arm around her shoulders. 
“Mrs. Cullen, you have no idea how grateful  I’d be if you could help me.”  If this woman could get me out of the hotel, I swear I’d give her a grandkid at this point.  Ok, maybe just a pint of blood.  Or I could just bake her a pie.
Esme narrowed her eyes, almost like she was reading my mind or like she had a devious plan.  “I don’t know if you would be interested, but I know of a house just on the other side of town.  It’s pretty private and may be a little further out than you were hoping, but I happen to know it’s been well taken care of and the owner would let you do a 6 month lease.  Utilities and water are included in the price of the rent.  Are you interested in giving it a look?” she asked while quirking her perfectly manicured eyebrow at Carlisle.  Hmmm…odd.
“Absolutely.  I was just finishing up here.  Do you have time to go now?  I could follow you?” 
“Sure I can.  Sweetheart,” she said turning to Carlisle, “why don’t you pick up supper on the way home?  I’ll be there in about 45 minutes.”  She said as she gave him a sweet peck on the cheek.
“Sure thing.  Hope it works out for you, Bella.  See you at home, Love.”  He smiled at Esme, giving her a quick hug and turning to leave.
“Ok.  I have a feeling that this will be a perfect fit for you.  Follow me out and we’ll be there in about 15 minutes.” Esme said as I gathered the rest of my things.
“Thank you so much, Mrs. Cullen!  I can’t wait to see it after the weekend I had.  If you know anyone in need of a good crack den let me know.  I can point them in the right direction.” I laughed.
Esme laughed along with me.  “Nonsense, and please call me Esme.  Mrs. Cullen was my mother in law and she was mean as a snake!  Hateful woman…bless her heart.”  She grinned and winked. 
She put her arm around my shoulders and led me out to our cars.  I’d never asked Carlisle if they had children, but I assumed they did.  Everything about Esme Cullen screamed motherhood and love.  She was already making me feel welcomed and loved.  I knew that was something I’d definitely need in order to make it here.
-x-X-x-
I followed Esme to the opposite side of town.   We pulled into a gravel drive that led to a two story, yellow, 1950’s era farmhouse.  I got out of my truck and stared at her in disbelief.
“Esme, there is no way that this is in my price range.  You’re sure this is for rent?  I mean, it’s fantastic, but surely not…” I said with wide eyes and shaking my head.
“Well sweets,” she drawled while leading me to the front porch.  “I just happen to know the owners and they would rather see it rented out to a nice, responsible girl like you than to just have it sitting here empty.”  I stood back to take it all in.  There were two full stories, 3 bed rooms, 2 bathrooms, and lots of windows.  It had full front and back lawns and the best thing about it was the wrap-around porch complete with a swing.  Surely I had died.  Nothing this good or lucky had ever happened to me while I was living.
“Like I said, utilities and water are included.  Oh, and you don’t have to worry about the yard work.  Somebody already takes care of that on a regular basis.  How ‘bout we go inside and let you have a look around?” she asked, unlocking the front door.
As soon as I saw that porch swing I was sold, but I thought I may as well look at where I’d be sleeping as a courtesy.  She opened the door and my jaw dropped a little more.  This wasn’t just a house.  This was a home.  I stepped into the living room that had walls the color of mocha.  The room was accented with chocolate browns, creams and crimson reds.  It opened up to the kitchen that had apparently been completely remodeled.  Again, I had apparently died.  There was counter space for days and every single appliance was top of the line.  The counters were  smooth, seamless granite and I just wanted to crawl on top of them and make granite angels, if there were such a thing. 
“Well, this is just the start.  What do you think so far?” Esme asked with a knowing look.
“Holy Shit!” I gasped, and then slapped my hand over my mouth, clearly embarrassed by swearing in front of my boss’ delicate wife.  “Oh my gosh!   I’m so sorry, Esme!”  She just laughed and waved her hand dismissively.
“You’ll learn quickly that we aren’t too worried about some language every now and then.   After all, a well placed cuss word does tend to make some conversations better.  Also, I’m not the prude people think that I am,” she said with a wink.  I’ll say it now.  I love her.
“Esme, this is just beyond…I just can’t…” I rambled, clearly lost for words.  “I don’t even care about the rest.  Just tell me who to make the check out to!”
“Oh…well, that’s the easy part,” she smirked.  “You can just make that check payable to Esme Cullen,” she laughed.  I’m fairly certain she was laughing at both my mouth opening and closing like a guppy, and my eyes bugging out of my head. 
“This belongs to you?”
“Yes ma’am.  It was my mother’s place and she left this house and the land to me.  The property goes all the way back to the creek but, like I said, don’t be nervous about the yard.  I have someone who takes care of that for me.  All I ask is that you take care of the house like it’s yours.”
I stuck my hand out and said, “You have a deal!”  She ignored my hand and gave me another bone crushing hug.  I had never sealed a deal like that before, but I’m really starting to like all of these new cultural experiences.
-x-X-x-
The next morning I checked out of the hotel and headed into work with my truck loaded down once again.  Tonight I’d start making myself at home in this little town, even if it wasn’t permanent.  After another easy day of orientation and a few patients, I headed “home”.  I got my boxes unloaded, saving my pride and joy for last…my guitar.  Oh baby, how I’ve missed you.  I sat on the front porch swing watching the late summer sun setting while strumming to my heart’s content.  I could see the occasional flicker of lightening bugs through the long, wispy strands of the weeping willows that ran down the side yard.  So far, everything about Alabama was warm…the weather, the people, their welcome and now this house.  Yes indeed, I think I’ll like it here after all.
The rest of my week was pretty uneventful, and truth be told, that’s usually how I liked things.  I’m a pretty laid back girl and I figure changing my living environment every six months is enough excitement.  During my orientation period (which ended this week, thank the Lord!) I wasn’t working regular shift hours.  I had been there from 8-5 like every other business.  I was thankful to have this weekend off before starting my regular shifts.  However, as I was getting to leave Thursday night, I overheard the day shift manager Lauren say that one of the night nurses had called out sick.  I told her that if it was ok with her and Bree, the night shift’s charge nurse, I’d be glad to split a shift and stay until 11 pm if it helped out.  Tomorrow was my last official day of orientation and I had already been taking on my regular load of patients.   Taking this shift would also let me meet a few of the other nurses and patients.  Better to be on the good side of gossip by being a team player, right?
“Bella, you have a call on line two” I heard paged overhead.  Who on earth would be calling me at work?  I hadn’t even had a chance to call Renee yet.
“This is Bella,“ I answered.
“Oh, Bella sweetie, I’m so glad I caught you.  This is Esme Cullen.  Do you have a second?” she asked sweetly.
“Hi, Esme.  Sure I have a few minutes.  What can I do for you?”
“Well, I know you are still new around here and Carlisle told me you weren’t working this weekend, so I was wondering if you’d join us for lunch at our house on Sunday?  I usually have the kids and grandkids over every other Sunday.  Please tell me you’ll come?”
“Um…will it be weird, being at my boss’ house for a family thing?  I mean, I don’t want to intrude or anything,” I worried.
“Don’t be silly.  Around here, you’ll only be a guest once.  The next time you come, you’re family.  You kind of already are since you’re living in mom’s house.  I make a ton of food.  Don’t make me ask you twice, now.  The second time it’ll be in person and I can be pretty persuasive,” she laughed.
“Ok.  That actually sounds great.  Can I bring anything?”
“Not this time.  But I’ll take you up on that offer next time,” she assured me.
“Ok.  I’ll get the information from Dr. Cullen and see you Sunday, then?”
“Alright, sweets.  See you then.  Bye!”
Have mercy…I have just agreed to lunch at my new boss’ house.  That ought to be AWESOME for the rumor mill.  I can just hear itnow.  “Bella’s bangin’ the boss.”  Super.  I’d have to worry about it later.  Something tells me not to say no to Esme. 
By the time I got home at nearly midnight, all I had energy for was to strip down and crawl into bed.  Thank goodness I didn’t have to go in until lunch tomorrow.  Oh, sweet sleep how I love you!  I raised my window a bit to let in the warm cross breeze and I could swear, as my eyes started to close, that I could hear a guitar lulling me to sleep.
-x-X-x-
No.  NO!  For the love of all that is holy…I reached out for what I thought was the buzzing of my alarm clock to shut it off.  Wait.  Not the alarm clock.  It’s 7:30 in the morning.  What in the hell is that God awful noise and who do I need to kill to make it stop?  I rolled over to look out of the window to try to see where it was coming from but I couldn’t see anything.  Unfortunately it was getting louder and louder and completely cutting off some much needed REM cycles.  Oh, this will NOT do!  I got out of bed and stumbled down the stairs bleary eyed and still half asleep.  I walked out on the porch with the screen door slapping shut behind me.  Walking around to the side porch, I spotted someone with his back toward me using what I could only assume was a weed eater.  Ah, yes…Esme’s yard man.
  Oh, and all man he seemed to be.
 He had on a pair of really worn jeans slung low enough that I could see the dimples right above his ass, which seemed to be in fine form as those jeans hugged him just right.  It didn’t help that there was a hole in the back pocket giving me a peek of what I assumed were navy boxer briefs.  And Lord help me his back…every muscle was well defined and they flexed and twitched with every back and forth movement that he made with that blasted power tool.  Jeez, is it always this hot in Alabama this time of morning?  Ok…must quit ogling the lawn boy…man…whatever.  I’m sure it’s all shades of inappropriate.  Plus, I really needed to get his attention because I was desperate for that last bit of sleep.
 I cupped my hands around my mouth and yelled “Excuse me?!”
Nothing.
I cleared my throat and tried again with a little more push behind it.
“Hey!”
Nothing.
As he got closer to the porch railing I noticed that he had ear buds in his ears. Hmm …might have noticed that earlier if I hadn’t been staring at his back and ass.  I reached over the railing and tapped him on his equally impressive shoulder.  Shit!  Can weed eaters electrocute you?  Because I know I felt a jolt of something.  He jumped a little and yelped, which made me giggle.  Too cute!
“Oh, shit woman!  You scared me!” he said while taking the buds out of his ears.  This was another one of those moments where I was sure I had died, because no one living on this earth was this good looking.  His hair was the color of a penny…not the shiny new ones, but the ones that had a few years wear on them.  It was some sort of bronze… a mix of brown and red and in the golden glow of what I now deemed a glorious morning, a little blonde at the tips.  His eyes were a sea green and they had laugh lines around the corners.  They were lined with the longest, most amazing dark lashes that I had ever seen on a guy.  Totally jealous.  His nose was straight and it led right down to the most beautiful pair of lips.  At the moment however, it looked as though those lickable lips were smirking at me.  They were drawn up on the side into the most deliciously crooked grin.  I snapped my eyes back up to his to realize I had been quiet for too long and had obviously been caught in my obscene perusal.  All I knew was that I’d have to keep eye contact because if I looked down any further today, I’d be screwed.
“Oh…uh…yeah.  Sorry.  I was a little scared myself being woken up by a weed eater so early in the morning.  Is this when you usually do this?”  I noticed during my questioning he had been doing a little looking of his own.  I was twirling my hair in one of my typical nervous habits as he took me in.
“No ma’am.  Sorry.  I thought you’d already be at work and I was trying to beat the heat that comes by mid-mornin’.  I didn’t realize you were still here.  I came up from the back down at the shed,” he said nodding his head to the back of the property.  My eyes glazed over a little when I noticed how his biceps and deltoids flexed with the movement of his body as he held that weed eater.  Crap!  Focus, Bella!  I had to shake the lusty fog from my head a little bit.  He had already worked up a bit of a sweat and I had noticed that a drop had run down his sideburn to his neck and over his collarbone.  Gah!  How much can I take in one morning?
“Normally I am, but I had a 15 hour day yesterday and don’t have to go in until later today.  Oh, I’m Bella, by the way,” I said sticking out my hand.  “I just rented this place from the Cullens.”  He raised his eyebrow and quirked that hot little mischievous grin at me as he wiped his hand on his jeans before taking my hand.
“Nice to meet you, Bella.  I’m Edward.  Listen, I’m sorry for waking you up,” he said while still slowly shaking my hand.  “I can leave and come back later if you’d like.” 
I had caught his scent when he leaned in to take my hand and he smelled like fresh cut grass, sunshine and sin.  I smiled and looked down at our hands and slowly released his.  “Well, um…I guess there’s no need.  I’m already awake.”  And truth be told, I surely didn’t mind being woken up this way…minus the annoying power tools.
“Well, if you’re sure.  It shouldn’t be much longer.  I got the bulk of it done during the week.”
“Yeah…no…I mean, it’s fine.  I’ll just let you get back to it.  It was nice to meet you, Edward.”
“You too, Miss Bella.  Maybe I’ll see you again soon?” he asked raising both eyebrows.
“Maybe so,” I answered coyly as I bit my bottom lip and took a step back towards the door.
He chuckled “Alright then.”  As he turned to walk toward the other side of the house, I noticed a flash of black on his deltoid.  Oh, Lord.  All that fine and ink too.  Yep.  Surely I’m dead.
It wasn’t until I walked back into the house that I noticed what I was wearing to greet my luscious lawn boy.  My pjs… my nearly non-existent pjs.  There wasn’t much to them, just my tank top that didn’t quite meet the hem of the top of my blue boy shorts panties that I was wearing.  Fantastic.  Well, maybe he enjoyed the show.  I know I did.  Hmm…I wonder how long it is until the lawn needs moving again?  And now I need a shower…a cold one.  I used to think I heard Dueling Banjos.  Now I was sure it was more like Marvin Gaye.  I could use some Sexual Healin’.
-EPOV-
Have. Mercy.  Well, first of all, I’m going to have to talk with my dad.  He just said Bella was “pretty.”  I had never known him to lie to me, but I guess there is a first time for everything.  Bella was NOT pretty.  Oh hell no.  She was gorgeous.  Even, no…especially in her just-woke-up rumpledness.  All bed head and pillow lines on her face with slightly swollen pink lips.  I had a good mind to tell her to go on back to bed and I’d be there directly, but I figured that might be a tad forward.  Although she obviously didn’t know who I was, I had at least been told about her.  Dad had actually called me before calling Mama about renting out Nana’s house.  I was kind of surprised since it wasn’t something we had done before, but I knew my dad really hoped Bella would extend her contract.  She apparently had worked in enough big cities and hospitals and had enough knowledge that she would be a real asset to him in getting the new Dialysis center up and going.  Then, of course, came the call from mom after showing Bella the house.  She went on and on for days about how cute and sweet and smart Bella was.  She was a good five minutes into her Bella diatribe when I had to interrupt her just to find out if I needed to be getting any work done around the house.  But hey, it’s to be expected with a slightly meddling mother of a very single son.  I still love her, though.  She’s always been my best girl.
Bella had scared the shit out of me.   Dad assured me she was working days so I wasn’t expecting her to be there.  I had been trying to be respectful and not bother her this week while she was getting moved in.  Plus, working in the mornings kept me from surely having a heat stroke.  August in Alabama was never kind.  Hell, we could drink the air better than we could breathe it, it was so damned humid.  I had thought the weed eater had shorted and shocked me until I realized she had touched my shoulder.  What the hell was that?  When I turned around and saw her, I’m not sure if I was more shocked that she was there, or by what I saw.  I knew she caught me checking her out while she was talking to me, but damn!  She was standing there in a tank top and panties and that’s it.  I can’t help if I noticed her obvious lack of bra.  I AM a man.  A man who hasn’t been with a woman in so long I ought to be ashamed to admit it.  I’m really not, though.  My mama didn’t raise no man whore.  Bella was backlit by the morning sun.  I wasn’t sure if she had been sent by God or the devil.  All I knew was that she was the sweetest sin I had ever seen.  And that was a sin I could repent for on Sunday, right?  Her clothes clung to every curve she was proudly showing.  Although, truth be told, I was certain she didn’t realize the show she was giving since I wasn’t the only one busy ogling this morning.  She had eyes that reminded me of the colors of the fall leaves; all browns and golds.  Her hair had been in a low pony tail and I noticed the red highlights mixed in with the dark chocolate brown as she twirled it.  Hmmm…was she nervous?   And why was I thinking like a girl?  Maybe I need to go hang out with Emmett.  I may as well turn on the Cullen charm and use my good manners.  Esme would be so proud.  She finally introduced herself to me as Bella and held out her hand for me to shake.  I wondered if she’d mind too much if I took it and pulled her over the porch railing.  Damn it, I needed to get a grip. 
I told her I was Edward and just left it at that.  She didn’t need to know just yet that my last name was Cullen or that I was actually her neighbor on the back side of the property past the willow trees.  A little mystery never hurt anyone, right?  I mean, I didn’t know how she’d feel about a guy she didn’t know living so close, even though it was my family’s property.  She’s not from around here, so she may not be very trusting.  Of course, when she finds out the truth, she might not like my “man of mystery” routine very well.  Oh well, I guess we’ll find out sooner rather than later.  Mama had let me know that Bella would be joining us for lunch at their house on Sunday.
When she let go of my hand, I missed the contact, which seemed a little odd.  She was all soft and warm and smelled like vanilla and sleep and girl…and that was a delicious combination.  I can only think of one other thing she could smell like that would make her completely irresistible, but perhaps another time…if I played my cards right.  Jeez, my pants were already getting tight and that was an introduction I didn’t need to make just yet.  She told me I could keep working after I asked if I should come back later.  I couldn’t help myself by basically asking if I’d see her again soon.  And if she wasn’t already the picture of perfection, she damn sure was when she bit that bottom lip and told me “Maybe so,” as she stepped back towards the door.  Oh, angel girl…you should NOT have said that.  I DO so love a challenge.  Which, come to think of it, is probably why I didn’t have any interest in the local girls.  They were no different now than they were in high school and they certainly didn’t present a challenge if you know what I mean.
“Alright then,” I said as I turned to walk in the opposite direction.  I caught a glance at what I thought must be a tattoo sticking out of the top of her panties right inside the curve of her hip bone.  Now that I was going to have to see up close and personal.  I needed to cool off a bit after that little meeting.  Maybe it’s not too early for a swim in the creek.
Bella.  She was beautiful.  Smart.  Maybe a little bad in a good way.  Already adored by my parents.  I had a feeling that I was already getting myself in to trouble with her.  Yeah, she just thinks she’ll only be here for six months.  Not if I get to have a say in it.

No comments: