Monday, June 17, 2013

Just A Kiss-Bonus #1 Chapter 7

JAK 7-Bonus-Edward’s Journal
January 24, 2011
I’ve seen her…looking.  It’s nothing new to me.  I’m used to people gawking at me for one reason or another.  Growing up people recognized my last name.  Or at least their parents did.  Lucy and I were taught early about being careful whom we surrounded ourselves with.  People would try to take advantage of us; become our friend just so they could be associated with the kind of status that Cullen Pharmaceuticals so often brings.  Try to attach themselves to us for money or false charity.
It’s all bullshit.  
I haven’t done anything to earn the money that’s in my bank account.  I can’t help whatever “looks” that people seem to think I have.  The only things that matter to me are my family and the things that I’ve worked for.  I busted my ass for both my academic and athletic scholarships.  Those are the two areas where my last name never meant anything.  They were earned by my own merit; late nights studying and hours at the ball field for years on end.
But she looks at me differently than the others do.  She gently chews on her full bottom lip, occasionally furrows her brow and cocks her head like she’s trying to figure me out.  She blushes when she’s caught…her nose and cheeks, her neck and further down under the collar of her shirt.  She also looks away and busies herself with work for what seems like forever before I’m able to catch her again.  It’s becoming a little like a game to me.
The looks she gives me are interested, but innocent.  Lovely, not lewd.  For the first time in a long time…I think I’d like to know more.
January 27, 2011
She’s Emmett’s cousin!  How have I missed this?  I’ve known the guy for a year and a half and somehow she and I are just now crossing paths.  I find myself wanting her attention, just waiting for her eyes to meet mine.  For years I’ve buried myself in books and sports as a way to hide from all things unsolicited.  But she’s different.  I’m not sure how I know.  But I do.
Bella.  That’s her name.  It definitely fits.
January 31, 2011
We began indoor drills today.  The weather needs to warm up more-and quit with the damn rain already-before we can start practices outside, even though we’re finally allowed by the NCAA.  It felt great to get loose again, even though we were limited in what we could do.  I’ve always loved this game.  It’s always just been so natural for me.  I love the focus of it, the repetition.  How it’s both a team and an individual sport.
Some of the new guys are a little cocky, but it won’t take long for the older players to initiate them a little bit.  We all went through a little ego bruising…or in my case, a little head shaving.
February 8, 2011
Classes are going well.  I’m ready to be done with this year so I can put the basics behind me and really start getting into the more focused classes for my major.
Lucy is only a few months from graduation.  She seemed stressed out when we had lunch today, but that’s not surprising since she’s about to be doing her clinicals, preceptorship and planning her wedding all at one time.  Mom tried to get her to wait, but Lucy is stubborn and is just ready to get her nursing license…and her marriage license.
I was running late for study hall today and decided to go ahead and dress for practice.  But being in autopilot also meant I dressed all the way down to my cleats.  I didn’t think about the God awful noise they’d make in the library.  I took a little ribbing from Emmett and Jasper about it, but the good news? 
I definitely had Bella’s attention.
February 14, 2011
She wore a red sweater today.  God, but she’s pretty.  Long, dark hair with just a little bit of curl to the ends.  Big brown eyes that are shy and sincere.  She laughs freely with Emmett, even if Mrs. Cope shushes her.  They’re more like brother and sister than cousins.  The way we trade glances and smiles…it’s getting to me…in lots of ways.  I think I’m going to have to spend extra time at the batting cages…get rid of the excess…energy.
We can’t dance around each other forever.  I want to know her.  I have to talk to her soon.  This shyness is getting ridiculous…hers and mine.

No comments: