Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just A Kiss Chapter 17


“Aww, Bella…that has got to be one of the most romantic things I’ve ever heard!” Rosalie exclaims, stopping mid braid. Our eyes meet in the mirror and she looks all…dreamy-eyed or…something.

“What is that look?” I ask.

She snaps out of her gaze and tightens her grip around the strands of hair, braiding it once more.

“What look? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Denial.

“Rose…are you…swooning?”

She pops her head up, looking at me in the mirror once again only this time, she looks a little pissed.

“No. I’m not swooning. I don’t swoon. I’m a total hard-ass.”

This time I throw my head back in laughter, cackling so hard I completely mess up my hair this time.

Her face may be stone cold, but her heart never will be. I know her too well for that.

Before long she finally cracks and gives into a few snickers of her own.

“Fine. I’ll admit to a small amount of swoonage, but don’t you dare tell Emmett. He’ll never let me live it down.”

“Are you kidding me? I’ve seen you two together and he’s not blind or stupid. You’re secret’s out, sister.”

She sighs, “I’m sure you’re right. We’re just kind of in a…lull right now, I think.”

I take the brush out of her hands and turn and look at her, concerned, afraid that I’ve been so busy living in bliss with Edward that I’ve missed something wrong with my cousin and my best friend.

“What is it?”

“It’s…it’s nothing, really. I’m just being hormonal. We haven’t had much date time since baseball season started and since we’ve been here, we haven’t had any time alone in the last three days. We’re not allowed to sleep in the same room, which I get, totally, but he hasn’t even tried to sneak down the hall at night!  And don’t get me wrong…I love your aunt, but wow! She’s really…involved, ya know?”

I try not to laugh. I really do. And I hold it in until I have no other option but to laugh or pass out from lack of oxygen.

“I just poured my heart out to you! Why in the hell are you laughing at me?” she whines, then throws herself down across my bed.

“Oh, God…oh, me…my aunt…”

Okay. Even I can admit this much laughing at her expense is getting ridiculous. I take deep breaths, doing my best to reel it in lest she decide to tackle me to the floor.

“You ever heard of the term ‘helicopter mom’, Rose?”

“Not that I know of.”

“Well…to put it plainly…they hover. Always involved, always paying attention to what’s going on, that kind of thing. Aunt Renata has always been that way. She wants to fix problems before they happen. It pisses Em off, but you know him. He’s so laid back, he doesn’t say much. The thing is…my mom’s the same way. We’ve had some serious knock-down, drag-out fights over the years, but I do know that no matter what, she’ll be there for me. It’s a blessing and a curse, for sure.”

“Emmett won’t touch me and hasn’t given me any more than a chaste kiss since we’ve been here and I’m just so not used to that, ya know?”

I sigh. Yes…I do know. At least she’s getting that. But I’m sure I can help.

“You’re making it too easy on him.”

“What? What do you mean?”

“You’re obeying all the rules. You want to get to Emmett? Get him out of this funk and back to his sloppy kissing, ass groping, lewd remark making ways?

“Lord, yes!”

“Break the rules. Start by teasing the shit out of him. Get him so riled up that he won’t be able to stop himself…and then flip the switch.

“Flip the switch?”

“Bad girl, good girl. Bad girl, good girl. It will drive him crazy because what he really wants is for you to be both. But to be both on his home turf? It will make him insane with lust and he’ll be over here in thirty seconds, begging for my help.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. If there’s one thing my cousin can’t refuse it’s his Rosie appearing to be the good little girl when he knows how bad she is. He’s sick, I tell ya.”

She finally laughs, knowing I’m probably right. “I’ll do anything. I’m just ready for the teddy bear to come back. He’s just been so focused lately and not on me.”

“Don’t worry. This will get him back on track. I promise.”

“Okay. Now…back to you and Edward. Tell me what happened after that.”

“Oh…well,” I say, my grin nearly splitting my face as I retell the memory of that night.

It took me a few minutes to let it all sink in. Edward had told me that he loved me. And not in a little way…well, not to me. He told me in a way that was so perfect and so him that I had no other option but to just let it all out.

There he was; this guy whom I’d lusted after and crushed on for weeks, my sometimes shy Mr. Perfect, my playfully teasing Crackerjack Cullen who apparently had gobs of money, insane intelligence, tons of talent and one of the sweetest hearts ever…and he loved me.

What in the hell was I supposed to do with that information?

Any normal girl would cry, I suppose. But no. Not me. I couldn’t be normal. What did I do?

I laughed like a damn loon.

I think it was a mixture of giddiness and unbelief that it was actually happening. I mean…he was Edward Freakin’ Cullen! We’d kissed and touched in so many places and intimate ways that I should’ve been able to get over it.

But no.

“I tell you I love you and you laugh at me?” he asked, chuckling himself at that point and rocking me back and forth.

“I’m sorry, Babe. I just can’t help it. I swear I’m not laughing at you. It’s just…so much.”

“Too much?” he asked, suddenly unsure.

Well that shut me right up.

I caressed the side of his face, his neck, until my hand rested over his heart that was pounding. For someone who was just so brave, he was still my shy boy.

“Never too much. I love you, Edward. So much it hurts. So much it just overflows…sometimes with laughter. I just can’t believe you love me back.”

His grin was slow and smirky, just how I liked it.

“So it’s settled then,” he said.

“What’s settled?”

“I love you and you love me and there isn’t anyone else.”

“I thought that was settled a long time ago. You branded me, remember?” I could smirk too.

“You have an awfully sassy mouth,” he chided.

I pulled myself out of his arms and started backing away slowly, just tempting him to come after me.

“And just what are you gonna do about it?”

“Ohh…you shouldn’t have said that,” he teased, stalking me like the jungle cat he was.

Oh, yes, boyfriend. Come and get it. I’ll gladly be your gimpy gazelle.

“Why is that?”

“Run!”

I squealed and took off across the field and made it no farther than the dugout before he caught me around the waist and spun me around, kissing me everywhere his lips could reach…and then some.

...

“He’s a really good guy, Bell. I’m really happy for you.”

“Thanks. You, too. I mean it. You and Emmett…God, I said I’d never say this out loud, but desperate times call for desperate measuresyou’re perfect for each other. Now go get ‘em.”

I hug the girl that’s becoming more like a sister to me and send her on her way back to Emmett.

Poor thing. I give him twenty-four hours before he’s beating my door down, begging for help with the helicopter moms.

...

Later, I finally manage a Skype date with Edward.

“Hi,” he says like I’m the best thing in the world.

“Helllloooo, lovah,” I tease.

“Not funny. Like…big time not funny. Why did you decide to make us wait until we got back, again?”

Aww…it would seem that the pretty precious is a wee bit horny. This could so work to my advantage.

“Don’t blame it all on me. You were part of that discussion.”

“Ugh. Clearly I was thinking with the wrong head.”

“Dirty boy. Would you like some help?” I purr, sitting up straight so that he can tell I’m not wearing a bra.

His eyes lower, then widen when he sees what I’m up to, and then he looks away and grumbles something like ‘Evil devil woman with awesome tits’…I think.

“Did you just say ‘tits’?” I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say that word before and if I’m being honest, I’m way turned on by it.

I lean a little closer into the screen, sure that I can see the tips of his ears blushing at his not-as-crude-as-he-thinks little remark. Always the gentleman, I love it when words like that escape from his gorgeous mouth. Poor thing, he doesn’t realize it always happens when he’s horny. Boys.

“Just…change the subject. How are Em and Rose?”

I fill him in on what Rosalie and I talked about earlier and her plan to drive him crazy with lust and he cracks up, obviously impressed by our evil plan.

“Oh, man, I’m so glad that’s not me,” he says.

“And why is that?”

“Because I’m pretty sure I’d beg for mercy within twenty minutes.” Suddenly all remnants of laughter are gone and he’s leaning closer to the screen, like he wants to be closer to me and that’s his only way. Which I guess it kind of is since we live five hours apart. Suck.

He’s beautiful. His hair always messy, the bridge of his nose and cheeks a little pink from so much time out in the spring sun, his lips…freshly licked.

Ugh! Do not do dirty things online with the pretty with Chief Charlie in the house!

I’ve talked to Edward several times a day, every day, since being home but I miss him like mad and this being apart right after we’ve declared our love for each other…well…it just sucks ass…plain and simple.

“You would?”

“Mmhmm.”

“Why?” my question almost a whisper.

“Because I miss you. And I love you. And…I’m ready. Ready to be with you…in every way.”

His voice is sure, rich and deep.

His words are smooth but honest and laced with longing.

“Me, too. To all of it.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” I smile, returning his.

We’re quiet for a few minutes, both of us realizing the bigness of that kind of statement. I know he slept with Maggie but hasn’t been with anyone since, and he knows I’m a virgin, my experience before him being sloppy gropes and some under the clothes fondling.

But I want this. I want him. I want everything with him.

“Well, I guess I better go. I have to get up early and help Mom and Lucy set up for the engagement party tomorrow night. I swear I’m just a glorified pack mule.”

I pout. “Okay. I know you’ll be busy but call me when you can. I love you.”

He smiles again, lopsided and lazy. “Mmm…my favorite words. Love you, too. Night, Pretty.”

He presses his index finger to the middle of his lips and touches the screen with me returning the gesture before we shut our computers.

I still can’t believe he does that, all because of our first night spent together when he traced my lips and stole kisses while I slept. So sweet…the little creeper.


The next morning I hear a familiar banging on my door.

Woodpecker.

Wait. No.

Much bigger and heavier woodpecker.

Well, more like pecker-head. Emmett.

I make my way-as slowly as I can, mind you-down the stairs towards the annoying little menace that’s trying to beat my door down. He’ll give up soon. I don’t even know why he’s knocking. He knows where the key is.

Instead of going to the door, I take a left into the kitchen, pouring myself a bowl of Lucky Charms and sitting down at the table. This ought to be good.

“Bells!”

Emmett is storming through the house, up the stairs, opening every door, hollering my name as he goes. Meanwhile, I decide to try eating my charms like Edward does. I miss him. And he’s weird. There should seriously be an equal cereal to charm ratio when eating this stuff.

“Mother fuc…have you been sitting here this whole time?”

“Mmhmm.” He’s panting and his face is so red it’s almost purple. He’s so easy.

Then realization hits.

“Wait just a damn minute. Did you help her? Because you’re sitting there all cool and smug like you knew this was gonna happen.”

I shrug my shoulder and keep on eating.

He growls in frustration. “I hate both of you. I ought to beat your ass! This is so not fair!”

Ha! Nothing funnier than a big ole, whining, teenage boy.

“How am I supposed to do anything about this? Mom is up our asses all the time, Bells. All. The. Time. And then Rosie is acting all sweet and demure but teasing me and touching me on the sly and it’s like God damn foreplay for days and I’ve got a case of fucking blue balls the size of Texas! You gotta help me out!”

Oh, this is good. He’s begging on his knees.

Figuring I’ve been mean long enough, I give in and decide to help him…and Rosalie…out.

“I’ll call your mom.”

“And what?”

“I’ll sacrifice myself to the mother-hovers and have them take me to lunch, do a little shopping and then to get a hair cut. I think I can stretch that out until dinner time tonight. So you have half a day. You hear me? Zip it up by the time we get home, though. I’m not going to be held responsible for anything that gets walked in on over there.”

He literally tackle-hugs me, knocking my chair over backwards as he does.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you! I owe you so big. Soooooo big,” he laughs.

“Oh, gross, Emmett! Get off of me and go home.”

He grabs a handful of cereal out of the box and leaves and I right myself and the chair, bracing myself for the day of hell I’m about to endure on his behalf. Good thing I love him.


The next morning I sleep until almost lunch time having gone to bed with the mother of all headaches…pun totally intended. Enduring that tag-team of crazies for hours on end while they gushed about me having a real boyfriend and wanting to know every detail of everything was torture.

I’m making my list, Emmett McCarty. Your payback is gonna rock because that was NOT an even trade. That is unless he decides to get back at me for helping Rose tease him to death first. Hmm…

I drag myself out of bed having just heard a much softer knock at the front door.

I fling the door open expecting it to be Rose. I hope she knows I don’t need details. Eww.

But it’s not her. It’s sooooo not her.

“Hi.”

Oh, God.

Retaliation and restitution all wrapped up in one gorgeous package. I do love my cousin.

“Edward!” I gasp, forgetting about my morning skunk breath and throwing myself out the front door at him, kissing him all over his beautiful blushed face.

He drops his bags and catches me, returning kiss for kiss and inhaling my very essence.

He smells like clean boy and sunshine and sin. Gah, I’ve missed him!

“What are you doing here?” I ask into his neck.

“Em called. Said he owed you a favor.”

“You have no idea.”

We hug and give each other peck kisses and caress lines and curves almost forgotten when from behind me I hear…

“Bella? Who’s at the door, hon?”

Oh, no.

Mother-hover.

No comments: