Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chapter 19 (They Told Everyone)

Chapter 19~(They Told Everyone)


EPOV

Bella and I snuggled on the couch while Roscoe and LuLu were snuggled together on the floor in front of us. I have to admit, Bella deciding to name her pup LuLu after Roscoe’s sister was the clincher on the decision to go ahead and propose to her. Okay…well that may not actually be true. The fact that I loved her damn near to death and couldn’t wait to make her legally mine might have had a little something to do with it. But still, knowing that she was actually paying attention when I forced that Dukes of Hazzard marathon on her, did things to me. I mean, I used to be late to church on Wednesday nights because of that show. I never told her, and I don’t know if she ever caught on, but my first love, Daisy Duke, used to call people Sugar. Meant to be I tell ya.

She had her back pressed against my chest and I was tracing words along her left arm, trying to make her guess what I had written. Every once in a while she would stretch her arm out in front of her, spread her fingers wide and stare at her ring for a few minutes until she giggled. It made me smile and feel warm all over every time I watched her do that. I hugged her tighter to me and murmured, “I love you,” into her ear.

“Mmm…I love you, too.”

“No. I mean like Forrest Gump, big ol’ fat love.” She giggled again. It was my favorite sound.

“I don’t even know what you are talking about, sugar.”

I sighed. “If that ring didn’t cost so damn much, I’d push you off this couch for that kind of blasphemy.”

“I know the movie; I just don’t know which part you are talking about.”

“It’s the part when he is talking about all the different kinds of rain while he was in the military. ‘One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain,” I said in my best Forrest imitation.

I was glad I was holding on to her so tightly. She damn near laughed herself right off of the couch.

“Just what is so funny?”

“You might want to keep your day job.” That earned her a pinch on the behind that made her yelp and the dogs sit up to see what was going on. Both of them loved her more than me and I was a little bitter about it to tell you the truth.

I steam-rolled over her to get off of the couch and then squatted down in front of her so that she’d get on my back.

“What are we doing?” she asked, not needing any explanation of what I wanted her to do as she climbed on.

“We’re goin’ upstairs. We have business to take care of and I didn’t figure on a two-pup audience. It freaks me out.”

She leaned in and sucked on the side of my neck as I began to haul her up the stairs. She didn’t realize that was making things extremely hard…and difficult because my knees were getting so weak from that sinful little mouth of hers and how she abused me with it.

“And what business do I have with you?” she asked in a sultry voice. Hell yes! Jezebel is in the house!

“Umm, if memory serves correctly, somebody owes me a proper thank you. Surely after being around here for five months you’ve learned a thing or two about thankin’ someone after they have given you somethin’,” I said as I plopped her down in the middle of the bed and then crawled over her.

Her hands were immediately under my shirt, pushing it up. “Did you have a specific thank you in mind?” she asked and then leaned up to lick my nipple.

Yes ma’am!

-x-X-x-

Bella decided that she wanted to tell my family about our engagement before she made phone calls to Renee and Angela. We were going to make the announcement at my parent’s house during Sunday lunch. That, however, meant that there was one phone call that needed to be made that trumped them all.

“Yeah-llo?”

“Hey, Pops!”

“Torch! How are ya son?”

“I’m good. How are you?”

“Can’t complain. Better question is how is my Sunflower? You bein’ good to her?”

“Well, I try, but you’d have to ask her. That’s kind of why I’m callin’.”

“I’m listenin’.” He sounded amused.

“I asked Bella to marry me and we want to announce our engagement at lunch tomorrow after church at Mama’s. She and I would really like for you to be there.”

“You mean she actually said yes?

I somehow knew he was gonna be just a little bit of a smart ass.

“What do you mean? Of course she said yes you old coot!”

“Well I was just askin’. You know you ain’t the only Cullen man she finds attractive.”

I could play this game too. I did learn from the best.

“Yes, I am aware of that, but she knows that Dad is a happily married man. Besides, he’s her boss. It wouldn’t be right.”

“Hateful. I don’t know who you got that mouth from,” he quipped. “I can’t believe you use it to kiss my beautiful Sunflower with.”

“Believe it old man. So are you gonna come over for lunch tomorrow or not?”

“I reckon. Tell her I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Evil.”

“Satan’s spawn.”

“Outsmarted again,” I chuckled.

“See y’all tomorrow bub. Love you.”

“Love you too. Bye.”

-x-X-x-

Bella sat up front with me during church, whereas she usually still sat with my family. She said it was because her place from now on was beside me. As sweet as that was, I personally thought she was just trying to hide her ring from Sassy and Rose…and probably Mama. Bella thought I was nuts when I put two foamy ear plugs in my jacket pocket before church. I told her that she had yet to hear the Cullen women squeal like pigs in surround sound.

She managed to keep her little hand safely ensconced in mine during the service and afterwards until we pulled into my parent’s driveway.

Drawing her hand to my lips, “Are you still sure about this?”

She grinned brightly. “No take-backs, remember?” I nodded and brushed my lips back and forth against her knuckles.

“I seriously doubt we’ll be making an announcement. I’m guessin’ we have less than five minutes before we are outted by Sas.”

She giggled. “I’m sure you’re right. But I’m fine with that. I can’t wait to see their reaction!”

“Well let’s go then,” I said, getting out of the truck to open her door while steadily shoving the ear plugs into my ears.

“I think you’ll be called out on those ear plugs first.”

“Are we bettin’?” I challenged her.

She shrugged her shoulder. “Why bother? I’m a sure thing,” she said, and winked at me.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure fornication is a sin on Sundays.

We walked in the front door and were greeted by both Alice and Rosalie. And by greeted, I mean nearly knocked the hell over in the foyer by the two squawking turkeys.

“So help me God we better be the first ones to know or you are a dead woman!” Rosalie said while pulling Bella into a fierce hug. “And Edward, pull those stupid plugs out ya ears. You look special.”

I learned a long time ago to do what I was told where Rose was concerned. It’s why none of us really cussed anymore. When Riley came along, she made all of us clean up our language…even Pops.

“How do you two know already?” I asked as Alice wrapped her little arms around my waist. She was so cute. Her lower belly was just starting to round a little bit and I found my thoughts drifting to what Bella would look like when she carried our child.

She pulled away from me so that she and Rose could ogle Bella’s ring together. Bella hadn’t actually said a word. She was content to giggle and smile and blush the entire time.

“Oh please! We saw this bad boy the second y’all walked into church. Nice haul, by the way,” Rose said, holding Bella’s hand up and twisting it in the light.

I studied Alice’s face for a few minutes and then decided that she had been very quiet. Mmmhmm…something smells. “Bullsnort!”

“What?” she asked a little too innocently. There ain’t no such thing as innocence in this family.

“Sas, I know you’re lying. You may as well fess up because I know when the three of you get together it’s like a damn hen party.”

She huffed. “Fine…Pops told me. Really, Edward…you should have known better than to call him yesterday if you weren’t telling us until today. He’s the biggest gossip out of all of us. But Rose really did think she noticed a glint of somethin’ earlier. We’re just so excited for y’all! You’re not mad, are you?”

“No, it’s fine. We’re gonna announce it in a minute anyway. Come on. You can act all surprised for us little mama.”

“Lord, not again.”

“It could be worse. Last time you were pregnant I called you big mama. It’s what you get for me havin’ to hear the news from my girlfriend and not from you or my so-called best friend.”

“You’re still goin’ on about that?”

“Indefinitely.”

“Ass.”

I pretended to be offended and mock-gasped. “Such a dirty mouth…and on the Lord’s day. Shame Mary Alice. Maybe I should tell your mama.”

She smiled sweetly at me and then turned to Bella, grabbed her by the waist and started walking towards the kitchen with her. “It’s not too late to change your mind ya know,” she said to Bella, and then cackled.

Heifer.

Rosalie smirked at me. “Look, you know she’s always had the attitude. Now she just has even more hormones to drive it.”

Lord have mercy…six more months.

As everyone began to gather around the table, I pulled Bella’s chair out for her before she sat down. She leaned towards me when I sat down and whispered into my ear, “You just called me your girlfriend. Did I get demoted?”

She was playing with me. No time like the present to get this on out in the open.

“No way, baby girl,” I said and then kissed her behind her ear, making her shiver. I loved that.

I stood up and cleared my throat and said, “Before we get to the blessin’ I have something I’d like to say.”

Pops, who was conveniently sitting on the other side of Bella, and Alice and Rosalie were all beaming at us, already knowing what I was about to say.

“Well, speak up son. The food’s gettin’ cold,” Emmett piped up. I cut my eyes at him.

“Right. Anyway, I just wanted to let y’all know that...,” I pulled Bella up to stand beside me. We were wearing matching face splitting grins and couldn’t keep our eyes off of each other. “I asked Bella to marry me and in a moment of what must have been sheer insanity, she said yes. We’re getting married!”

Emmett whooped, Jasper said, “’Bout damn time”, Mama squealed like I knew she would and Alice was still so happy that she had to excuse herself to the bathroom, citing ‘damn pregnancy hormones’.

We were congratulated by everyone in typical Cullen fashion with hugs and kisses for us both and then they took turns looking at Bella’s ring.

“It’s gorgeous, Sweets! I could not be happier! But Edward…where on earth did you find this ring? I have never seen anything like it! It’s beautiful and just perfect for our girl,” she said, hugging Bella more tightly to her.

Bella hadn’t even asked me this question yet, which kind of surprised me. I ran my fingers through my hair before telling them, “Uh, actually I got it when I went to Orlando.”

Bella whipped her head around and her beautiful brown eyes were full of surprise.

“What?”

“Last month…when I was in Orlando on the band trip. I just missed you so much I was about to lose my honkin’ mind. I mean, I already knew that I wanted to marry you, but I didn’t exactly have a timeline in mind until then.” Her look of surprise turned into a look of confusion with the furrowing of her brow. I sighed and took both of her hands in mine and said, “Look…what I’m tryin’ to say is that I already knew how much I wanted to be with you, but it wasn’t until I was on that trip, away from you, that I realized just how much I couldn’t live without you; not even for one day. So I decided right then that I couldn’t wait any longer to make you mine.”

Well hell…now the confused, furrowed brow has turned into bright, watery eyes. And hers weren’t the only ones that looked like that. Lord, I’ve thrown the females into an outright cryin’ jag.

She threw her arms around my neck with a force that matched my mama’s…and that was saying something. I wrapped my arms around her waist and squeezed her until her feet left the floor.

“I love you so much. I’m sure I should ask for forgiveness for being so selfish, but you’re mine and no one else can ever have you,” she whispered into my ear. I chuckled and kissed her cheek as I put her down.

My dad was the last to congratulate us, shaking my hand with one hand and pulling me in for a hug with the other. “I believe I owe you one, son, but I doubt you had to go through all this trouble just to get your girl to stay.”

“What can I say? I did it all for you,” I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes.

He hugged Bella and kissed her on the cheek before asking, “I guess this means you and I are due for a certain conversation a little later?”

She blushed. “Yes, sir.” He grinned so damn big I thought his face was going to crack. “Good. We can chat up in my office after lunch. Is that okay with you?” She nodded.

Everyone was back in their seats and Pops asked the blessing for our food, as well as a special blessing on all of our family; the members who were present and the ones that were soon to join us.

-x-X-x-

BPOV

I followed Doc up to his study after lunch while Edward stayed downstairs to take the ribbing that was certain to come from the other guys. I think Pops was actually giving him the hardest time, teasing him about me and how I was settling for the next best thing. He was a cute old man that was for sure. I knew that I’d never be bored a day in my life because Edward was just like him.

“Come on in and let’s take a seat. I can’t tell you how excited I am that you’re not only staying, but that you’ll be a member of our family, Bella.”

Carlisle and I sat turned towards each other on the couch that faced his desk.

“Not more than I am,” I agreed.

He squeezed my hands that were folded on my lap. “Okay, let’s get down to the business part and get this out of the way. I assume you have thought about the offer I made you a few weeks ago?”

“Yes I have, and I sort of have a proposal of my own, if that’s ok?”

“Sure! I’m all ears. Tell me what you had in mind.”

“Well, I called the agency on Friday and officially resigned from my contract with them.” A brilliant smile began to stretch across Carlisle’s face. “However, I don’t think I want the exact job that you wanted me to take.”

“Go on,” he urged.

I took a deep breath and blew it out. If he agreed to this, he would basically be letting me create my own position and that possibility held so much potential I could hardly stand it.

“Um…I don’t want to be in charge of one of the shifts just yet. What I would like to do is, in addition to my regular shifts, which I hope to change to three twelve-hour shifts per week, is to spend some time focusing on the education of the staff and the patients. I know we will be getting some new staff members and I’d love to be in charge of their orientation at first. Then any courses that are required of the nurses to keep their certifications up to date, as well as helping any of the new patients and their families to adjust to their new lifestyle and nutritional requirements that come with being on dialysis.”

“Well that’s a lot of being in charge for someone who doesn’t want to be in charge,” he chuckled and I blushed.

“I know. I just don’t want to get too ingrained into the administration part of it. I’ve always wanted to be a nurse, first and foremost, for the one-on-one patient care. I still want that to be my focus. But I feel like I’d be doing the patients a service by making sure that the nurses are the very best that they can be. You have already put so much trust and faith in me that I’d really like to give this a shot.”

He looked like he was thinking it over. “Tell me, Bella…what are your future aspirations as far as nursing goes?”

I used to think that I knew, but so much was changing. “Up until I moved here, I wanted to go back to school and become a Family Nurse Practitioner. But now I’m not so sure.”

“Can I ask why the change of heart?”

“Well, before I moved here…before Edward…I was just running; chasing something, and that was the next thing on my list of things to chase. But I have found everything that I didn’t know I was looking for in this town, in this family, in Edward, and even in myself. For the first time in my life I am completely happy and content with where and with who I am, so it’s not really a surprise to me that my previous ‘plans’ have changed. Edward and I have talked a lot about this in the last month or so and he has always just wanted me to be happy, stay or go. I’d never be happy if I went, but we have also made other decisions that I hadn’t factored in until I met him; a family. We don’t want to wait to start a family and starting a family changes things for me. My mom wasn’t there for me and I’d really like to try being a stay-at-home mom when we have kids, for the most part anyway.”

“What does that mean as far as the job you just requested?” he asked.

“What I would like at that point is to drop the shift rotation and keep the education part, working maybe ten to fifteen hours a week?”

“And what would you do with the baby?” he grinned.

“Mama Bear’s, of course. I’m sure Grandme would help out sometimes, too.”

“It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought.”

“I have been thinking about it in some way since October, but more specifically in the last month,” I admitted. I wanted him to know that my decision was mine alone and that it wasn’t something I had decided just because Edward had asked me to marry him. When I told Edward my plan yesterday, he was extremely supportive and thought his dad would be really pleased.

“You know I’d love to have you in any capacity, but this sounds amazing, Bella. I hadn’t thought about a position like that, but I can definitely see the need.” He stretched his hand out towards me. “You have yourself a deal, little lady!” I brushed his hand out of the way, lunged forward and hugged his neck tightly.

“Oh my gosh! Thank you so much, Doc! I promise you won’t be sorry; I won’t let you down.”

He laughed lightly and returned my hug. “I know, Sweets. Now,” he said as we sat back in our places on the couch, “tell me how in the world my son talked you into marrying him.”

That was a story I was glad to retell.

-x-X-x-

Announcing our engagement had certainly restarted the rumor mill. Carmen knew before my feet ever walked through the door the next morning. I swear to all that is Holy, she has an informant. There was speculation that I was pregnant, of course, since our courtship had been so brief. And I’ll just say it. I wouldn’t have even minded if it were true. It would happen soon enough. Part of the discussion Edward and I had when deciding on the wedding date included more talk of how soon we wanted children and my not taking my next Depo Provera shot that was due the first week of February. My phone had been ringing off the hook with congratulations as soon as the ladies from church found out. It was a really exciting time, but I had two more phone calls that I had to make.

I called my mom the following week to let her know what all was going on in my life. I hadn’t spoken to her in a few months, so this particular phone call was full of ups and downs. I told her about Billy’s death and about selling the house in Forks, which I think surprised her. Little did she know that I was about to shock the hell out of her.

“Why are you selling the house? Do you need the money?”

I was so glad she couldn’t see me roll my eyes. “No mom, I don’t need the money. I’ve managed to save plenty over the last few years. It was just time to sell it. Washington isn’t my home anymore. I have no reason to go back there.”

“I suppose. So where are you going next? I would imagine anything would be a big change from where you’ve been this time.”

I kind of felt a little offended by that remark, but I reigned in my temper. She didn’t realize she was talking about my home, but she was about to.

“Actually that’s the main reason I was calling. I’ve decided to stay in Cotton Creek. I resigned from the travel nurse agency and I’m starting a new job in March.”

“Doing what?” she asked.

“I’ll be working at the new Dialysis Center that has just been built as a nurse three days a week and as sort of a Clinical Coordinator a few more hours a week. As the Clinical Coordinator, I’ll be in charge of overseeing the educational requirements of the nurses and helping out the new patients. I’m still working it out with my boss, but it’s a really great opportunity, plus I’ll be making even more money.”

“Mmmhmm. Well, it sounds nice. Why are you deciding to stay put after all this time?”

I knew this was coming and I was prepared for it. “Well, I’ve never felt as accepted and loved by an entire community as I have since I have been here. They didn’t judge me for who I was or where I had been. They just took me in and treated me like family and I fell in love with everything and everyone here.”

“I see…anyone in particular that you have fallen in love with?”

“Actually, yes.” I couldn’t help the smile that crept across my face as I talked about my man, even if it was to my mom. “His name is Edward Cullen. He’s my age and he’s a music teacher and he comes from a big, crazy family, all of whom I adore completely.”

“Well that’s good to hear, as long as he’s good to you,” she said lightly. “I was starting to worry that you would never settle down.”

“He’s fantastic, Mom. That’s the other thing I was calling about. Edward and I are getting married.”

At first there was silence, and then, “Oh! Well…wow! I’m not even sure what to say. Congratulations!”

“Thank you. We’ve decided to get married the last Saturday in April; the thirtieth. I wanted to let you know so that you and Phil could come. I know that’s only three months from now and Phil’s schedule gets busy then, so…” I trailed off.

“No, that’s great, Bella,” she said sincerely. “Of course we’ll be there. Will this be a big wedding or…?”

“No,” I said, cutting her off. “We are only having you and Phil, my friend Angela and Edward’s family at the ceremony. We just wanted people who were our family because it’s just about us. We’re not even having bridesmaids or groomsmen. It’s just us, giving ourselves to one another. There will be a reception afterwards for all of our friends and people in town, though.”

“It sounds lovely. I’m sure it will be beautiful.”

“It will be. You’ll really like Edward, Mom. Well, all of them really,” I said softly.

“Thank you for inviting me. I know we’re not close, but this is important to me, so thank you.”

“You’re welcome. I’m glad you’ll be able to make it.”

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

“Okay, well I’ll let you go. I still need to call my friend Angela. I’ll send an invitation to you in a few weeks. It’ll just be for the reception, but I’ll email you with the time of the ceremony. I’ll talk to you later, Mom.”

“Okay. I’ll see you soon then. Goodbye, Bella.”

“Bye.”

I sighed, glad that the phone call was over. And in perfect timing, because I knew that he had been eavesdropping, Edward knocked on the bedroom door.

“Can I come in?” he asked, peeking his wonderfully messy, bronze-haired head around the door.

“Of course. This is your bedroom too, you know.”

He plopped down on the bed beside me. “I know. I was just tryin’ to give you some privacy.”

“How, exactly, were you doing that by sitting on the stoop in front of the door and listening in?” I asked him, giving him the all-knowing eyebrow.

“Shit. Well, I just wanted to be close in case you needed me,” he said as he started to rub circles on my belly just under my shirt.

I grabbed his wrist and moved it as I rolled over on my side to face him, where he was already pouting. “Now you stop that. I know your distraction tactics very well by now and you aren’t in trouble. I was just saying that you didn’t have to be sneaky. You could have been in here with me. I wouldn’t have minded.”

“Did everything go okay?”

“Just fine, sugar. Better than I thought, even.”

“That’s good to hear and I’m glad for you. I know she’s all you have left.”

“That is the most disgusting lie I have ever heard. She most certainly is NOT all I have left. I have you and every single one of those crazy Cullen’s. You are more my family than she is. She may have given me life, but you gave me a reason to live.”

He looked at me a few minutes before he rolled to his back and began laughing uncontrollably.

“Why are you laughing?” I was a little hurt.

“Oh baby girl, you have been around me way too long. You’re gettin’ all cheesy on me. That was a good’un though. I have to give you that.”

I smacked him on the chest before I tackled him and pinned him to the bed. “You take that back.”

“Never. No take-backs, remember?”

I nodded. He could still out cheese me and Lord have mercy, I loved him all the more for it.

“I remember.”

“How much longer until you call Angela?”

I looked over at the clock and realized that since it was already six here that she would be on her way home soon.

“She’ll be leaving soon, but I thought I’d give her an hour or so after her shift to make it home. She doesn’t live far from the hospital.”

With his mischievous, crooked grin and the sexy glint in his eyes, I automatically knew what was coming next.

“You wanna get a shower with me? I’m feelin’ like an awfully dirty boy.”

“Hmm…is that so? Well, lucky for you I’m a nurse so I give a really good sponge bath.” I rolled off of him and grabbed his hand, pulling him into the bathroom behind me.

“That’s good. I’m sure I can be…patient,” he said, wagging his eyebrows.

“Dear Lord…just keep your mouth closed and be pretty.”

“No ma’am. If my mouth is closed, then I can’t do this,” he said as he leaned down and clamped his lips over mine. He sucked my bottom lip into his mouth as he unbuttoned my pants and pushed them down. I wiggled my legs to get them the rest of the way down because it would have been a sin for him to quit kissing me just yet. I twisted my tongue with his as we continued to undress each other. I nipped at his full lips and he traced mine with his tongue.

When breathing became necessary he opened the shower door and stuck his hand in to be sure that the water was warm and when he saw that it was, he wasted no time in pushing me up against the tiled wall and attacking me even more with that not-closed mouth of his. Lord help me, the things he could do with that mouth. Don’t even get me started on his fingers or the Captain.

There were no words; only heated stares, bitten lips and soft moans as he entered me and began to thrust his hips against mine. As the water rained down over us, our bodies slid against each other in every place except for where the friction was needed and oh so good.

I knew we wouldn’t last long because we never did when we were in the shower. Between the touching and the tweaking and the tongues and the thrusting, there was just nothing else to give. It was all him and all me and us together falling over that edge, and eventually falling down onto the seat as legs gave out.

“I won’t be able to walk down the aisle to marry you if you don’t knock that shit off,” I panted.

A corner of his mouth rose into a lazy and satisfied grin. He blinked opened his brilliant green eyes, looking at me and said, “No way. I’ll carry you if I have to, but you have lost your honkin’ mind if you think I’m givin’ up my shower lovin’.” He leaned in and bit my nipple before sucking it into his mouth as I still sat on top of him.

“Oh, fuck…” I whimpered.

It was much, much later before I got to make that phone call to Angela.

No comments: